Crater Forest is a small tented camp located on a highland coffee plantation at an altitude of 1800 m, directly bordering the Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area (NCAA). The camp is a 10 kilometer drive away from the main road leading from Karatu town to the famous Ngorongoro Crater, offering you some nice views of the surrounding hills and coffee plantations.
Crater Forest Tented Camp is operated as a small scale eco-friendly camp with only 15 spacious tented rooms, with en-suite bathrooms with a hot shower and flush toilet. There is even an African-style fire pot in every room, to keep warm at night during the chilly African winter times. The rooms are all set on highly raised platforms offering some magnificent views over the Ngorongoro Forest. From your veranda you can enjoy romantic sundowners or watch wildlife, like elephants, roaming through the dense forest, and hear the lions roar.
In the morning you will wake up to the sounds of the awakening forest, when the nocturnal wildlife makes way for a mistily rising sunlight. Rise and shine for a new day in the middle of nature…
Crater Forest at a glance . . .
• 15 large tented rooms under thatch with en-suite bathroom with shower,
flush toilet, wash hand basin, soap, towels and bottled water
• Private veranda with views over the expansive Ngorongoro Forest
• Complementary coffee and tea is served on the veranda in the morning, on request
• Electrical lighting in the rooms, and bathroom, torch
• Restaurant and bar serving excellent mix of African and international cuisine,
using fresh locally grown vegetables
• Daily changing 4 course menu
• Lounge where you can enjoy your after diner coffee, tea and digestives
• Charging possibilities for cameras, batteries, etc
• Activities: coffee estate tour and early morning forest walks